Love chai? Making it yourself totally is worth it.
Most Chai today comes from a factory concentrate. It's convenient but it doesn't taste half as good as doing it yourself. These concentrates are also loaded with unnecessary sugar. (The leading coffee chain Chai has over 40 g of sugar. Seriously.)
This Chai latte tutorial is created for our Dirty Chai tea. You can use this same recipe to transform any tea into a strong, creamy chai latte. Some of our favorite blends for Chai style lattes are Painted Desert, Silencio, and Civil Disobedience. Take the time to make good chai. It's worth it.
Makes 3 cups. Prep time 20 minutes
How to make the Dirty Chai Latte:
- Get some Dirty chai Tea
- Add 4 tablespoons tea to a pot
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar
- Add 1.5 cups hot water
- Simmer on low heat, covered
- Stir to mix
- Cover and infuse 10 minutes
- Heat 1.5 cups milk while tea is infusing
- Add milk to tea and stir to mix
- Remove from heat
- Cover and allow to infuse for 10 more minutes
- Grab a teapot and add an infuser
- Strain to remove tea leaves
- Froth or steam warm milk until light and foamy. Optionally add 1 teaspoon sugar or honey to milk first
- Pour tea into mug and top with milk foam
- Add any garnish you like. We use cinnamon, coffee beans, and cardamom
If you're wondering about the teapot in this video, it's the Revol Pekoé Teapot.